The decade-long search for a new FBI headquarters was canceled by the national government, The Washington Post reported Monday.
Officials in the General Services Administration (GSA), which manages national property, said a lack of steady leadership at both agencies could have deterred financing of the search, the paper said.
Both the FBI and GSA are undergoing leadership transitions.
President Trumps pick for FBI Director, Christopher Wray, has yet to be verified, while Trump hasn’t yet nominated anyone to direct the GSA.
The plan, driven by both the Obama and Trump administrations, was to relocate the FBI into a building in the District of Columbias suburbs after trading the J. Edgar Hoover Building the current headquarters into a property agent and with $2 billion in taxpayer funds to pay what had been left.
Neither administration was able to convince Congress to approve the plan.
Congressman Gerry Connolly, D-Va., said in a statement that the report revealed “insurmountable” conflicts. Connelly represents northern Virginia and surburban Maryland, places that have been angling for the new headquarters.
“Reports that the government has been pulling the plug on a new FBI headquarters shows insurmountable Trump conflicts with GSA, FBI, and Vornado. This is devastating news. Conflicts have consequences,” Connolly said.
Vornado Realty Trust, a partial owner with the Trump Organization in two buildings, is also a major investor in a building owned by the household of Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Vornado was among three finalists to build a replacement FBI building.
The plan was initially allocated $390 million so as to make the move.
Fox News’ Chad Pergram contributed to this report.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/