SYDNEY — An Australian girl was captured and killed by a police officer at Minneapolis on Saturday night at an incident that the city’s mayor has predicted horrible and disturbing.
Authorities in both the United States and Australia have not publicly identified the girl, but Australian media reports have named her as 40-year-old Justine Ruszczyk, also called Justine Damond.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner confirmed the departure of a Justine Ruszczyk, but couldn’t release the root cause of her death.
A man who identified himself as a future son-in-law, Zach Damond, stated in a video submitted on Facebook that the girl was murdered after calling 911 to record a sound in the street behind her home. Damond’s father, Don, was engaged to be married to the victim, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
“Basically my mom’s dead because a police officer shot her for reasons I don’t understand,” he explained in themovie, submitted on the Facebook page for Women’s March Minnesota. “I demand answers. If anybody can help, just call police and demand answers. I’m so done with this violence”
The shooting has raised questions after the state’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension stated body worn by the officers involved were “never turned on in the time and the team did not capture the incident” The agency said it was seeking to see if any additional movie was taken.
Since 2016, Minneapolis has required all officers to use and activate their body “at times when they can reasonably expect that they may become involved in a situation for which activation is appropriate,” before any contact with a citizen.
Both of the police officers involved in the shooting have been on paid administrative leave, the Star Tribune reports.
Betsy Hodges, ” the mayor of Minneapolis , said she “intend[ed] to find out more” and that she was “heartsick and deeply disturbed by what occurred.”
“There are still many questions concerning what took place, and though the investigation is still in its early stages, I’m asking the BCA to discharge as much information, as fast as they’re ready to,” Hodges said in a statement. “My thoughts have been with everyone affected by this horrible incident, especially the deceased girl and her family.”
Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed that a citizen of the nation had been murdered, but declined to identify her before her family had been advised, according to a statement obtained by HuffPost Australia. The agency stated it’d be providing consular aid for her family.
Vigils are held around the home of the victim, occasionally drawing upwards of 200 individuals, journalists at the scene reported.
Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/